What is sacrament? The word sacrament does not appear in the NT. It is taken from the Latin word’SACRAMENTUM’. It is a military word which means ‘Oath ‘or pledge or solemn or ‘obligation’, a testimony of God’s favor towards the church confirm by an outward sign.
An outward and visible ritual of an inward and spiritual grace according to Christ’s order. a sign of holy reality or grace which sanctified humanity.it is not what humankind does but what god does for humanity.
HISTORY OF SACRAMENT BEFORE 15TH CENTURY REFORMATION
- Marriage of holy matrimony
- Ordination or holy orders ie priesthood
- Penance-bring back the backslider Eucharist or holy communion.
- Extreme unction –anointing with oil or laying on of hands to bring grace to face death.
WHAT IS THE LORD’S SUPPER?
- It is not a reward for being righteous but a means of grace. It is an act of divine Love.
- It is a Christian sacrament of bread (water) and wine. (1 cor.11:23, matt 26:26-29)
- It is the word of God that is the incarnate word (John 1:1-4) the turn “visible word”
- It is a new covenant (1 cor 11:25)
OTHER NAMES FOR THE LORDS SUPPER
- It is called the ‘LAST SUPPER’ it is the last physical communal meal for Jesus and disciples before his death (matt 26:29)
- It is called EUCHARIST taken from the Greek word EUCHARISTOS meaning Gratefulness or thankfulness.(Acts 2:46-47)
- It is the HOLY COMMUNION this means it is a fellowship of believers with the risen Lord and with one another .this should :
- create unity and fellowship among Christians
- transform us morally
- uplift us spiritually (Jer 31:31-34)
WHY PARTAKEN IN THE LORDS SUPPER?
We enjoy God’s blessing and receive His grace (1 cor 10:16), It gives us the opportunity to confess our sins to receive forgiveness and also confess Jesus Christ as Lord and savior.
HOW TO APPROACH THE LORD’S TABLE
- There is the need for self examination (1 Cor 11:28)
- Must be done in truth and in spirit (john 4:23-24)
- The attendee must intimate to the minister of intention to participate This is call SPEAKING
- Where there is preparatory service,the partaker must attend.
- There must be penitence and repentant heart.
- There should be seriousness and reverence.
- It should be celebrative as well as solemn.
If you come with a heart fully prepared, your eyes will be open as it happened to the disciples on the last day.
Come to the table with gladness and receive blessing