We have just crossed over from our month of restoration, and entered into a new month today, and God is still working things out for our good.
November is indeed a month full of God's promises. This year may have brought us unpleasant surprises, shocks, and losses. Circumstances may have made it difficult to meet targets or expectations. Happenings may have made the year seem like a devourer.
-Nonetheless, as sure as the Lord lives, He will grant us grace to finish well.
In Judges 14:14 Samson said, out of the eater shall come something to eat, and out of the strong, something sweet. May the Lord send sweetness our way in this month, and grant us rest on every side.
In Exodus 33:17, our text for the week, the Lord said to Moses, I shall also do this thing which you have spoken, for you have found favour in my sight, and I know you by name. The Lord knows his children by name, and He shall give us rest on every side.
Let the redeemed of the Lord shout a mighty AMEN!
Rest on every side – what Bible says:
The fulfillment of rest on every side from the Lord is a promise for His children.
1. When the Lord grants His children rest on every side, it represents the complete manifestation of his promises to His children at last (Joshua 21:44-45).
“The Lord gave them rest on every side, just as he had sworn to their ancestors. Not one of their enemies withstood them; the Lord gave all their enemies into their hands. Not one of all the Lord’s good promises to Israel failed; every (single) one was fulfilled.”
2. When the Lord gives you rest on every side, there must be response from His people as a memorial. Rest on every side paves the way for the fulfillment of the vows we made to Him in response to His acts of deliverance [times of distress, challenges, battles, etc]. In 1 Kings 5:4, Solomon said, “As you are well aware, due to the wars waged on all sides against my father David, he could not build a house for the Name of the Lord his God until the Lord had put his enemies under his feet. But now the Lord my God has given me rest on every side, and there is no adversary or crisis. So behold, I plan to build a house for the Name of the Lord…”
Hannah received rest on every side as far as childbirth is concerned, and her response was to give her son back to God. When God has finally granted you the much-needed rest, I pray that you will also remember to honour God with a memorial.
In 2 Chronicles 20:1-30, God's people are faced with a crisis situation. While minding their own business and learning the ways and laws of their God, under the leadership of King Jehoshaphat, enemies were secretly on their way execute a diabolic plan that was to bring their downfall. Having possessed God's promised land, Judah had become well-positioned to have control over the lucrative trade routes within that region, and the enemies (the Moabites, Ammonites and Meunites) wanted at all cost to dispossess them by totally annihilating them and taking over.
But thanks be to God who gives us advance knowledge because through it, they became aware of the plot and desperately sought the face of God (2 Chron. 20:2; Job 33:14-18). Advance knowledge brings deliverance. Advance knowledge also gives you a headstart in life. May God grant you advance knowledge to escape every plot, and to get ahead of the competition in Jesus' name.
As they desperately sought the face of God, He gave them a divine strategic plan for success, in a battle that God Himself fought on their behalf (2 Chron. 20:14-18). As you desperately seek the face of God, may He open your eyes to strategies that bring success, and grant you the needed inspiration by His Spirit, to walk into it.
Having heard the grand plan of God for their deliverance, their response was praise, even though they had not yet seen it manifest (2 Chron. 20:21). In this month and beyond, put your faith to the test by rejoicing in the promises of God in His Word for us. Promises of hope, promises of salvation, promises of increase, promises of sound health and so on. Rejoice in earnest expectation of your rest on every side, as you hold on to the promises of God.
Now as they began to rejoice in the Lord through their songs of praise, God set up an ambush for the enemies by causing confusion to break out among them (2 Chron. 20:22-28). Sometimes in the face of adversity, our best response is praise, as it carries power to turn things in our favour. God inhabits the praise of His people, and rides upon it to turn things around for our good. Paul and Silas in prison, in Acts 16 come to mind.
Behold, when they got to the battlegrounds, victory had already been won, for no enemy remained standing; they were all dead, with their bodies littered all over the fields. They spent three whole days just harvesting the possessions on their enemies, and then celebrated God so much on the fourth day that to this day, it is called the Valley of Berakah, which means the Valley of Praise. As a response to the rest on every side they received, they set up memorial unto God through the sacrifice of praise. God gave them rest on every side, and sent fear down the backs of their neighbours. May God do same for us, and cause all around us to fear and reverence God because He is with us.
May He grant us rest on every side, and cause us to be at peace in this month and beyond. Amen.
1. Thank God for the grace bestowed to see another month
2. Thank God for everything that has gone on this year till date
3. Pray and ask God to establish you and give you a firm foundation in Him
4. Pray and ask God to give us advance knowledge concerning every area of our lives
5. Father make me a worshipper even in times of adversity
6. Let all manner of plots and machinations against us (church, families, nation, jobs and businesses, etc) backfire in the name of Jesus
7. May we feel the power in your body and blood in this Communion Service.
8. May the intervention of the Lord bring us total rest on every side.