DAILY WORDS OF HOPE
BY PCG, HOPE CONGREGATION–SAK. EST
TODAY’S VERSE: COLOSSIANS 3:1-4
THEME: A NEW FOCUS
WORDS OF HOPE:
As the passage begins, Paul makes it clear who his audience is: He is addressing those who have been raised to new life in Christ. With this established, Paul describes the perspective or the focus of those who are in Christ.
In verse 1, he admonished the Colossians to check their heart with regards to what they pursue in life. What do you long for? What are you pursuing? What do you desire? They are to set their hearts on things above. This implies the need to orient their minds in light of the ultimate and eternal rule of Christ. He also encourages them to set their minds on things eternal. As we set our minds on eternal things, our pursuits and desires and ambitions will follow.
If we are going to faithfully pursue eternal things we must guard our minds and fight to keep our attention on the things of Christ. After explaining the call to live up to this new focus, Paul returns to the reason for his admonition: our new perspective is a result of our new position.
• Our Present Position (vs. 3) As those who are in Christ, we have been united with Him in His death and resurrection; we are “in Him.” Because of our union with Him, Christ lives in and through us (Galatians 2:20). We have died with Him and now our lives are His, therefore everything we do and say should be impacted by our identity in Him.
• Our Future Position (vs. 4) Even though we have been given a new position in Christ we are still constrained by the flesh, but this is only temporary. One day Christ will return and we will join Him in glory (1 Corinthians 15:50–57).
When we live in the light of who we are in Christ and set our minds on things above, it will keep us from loving the world too much and creating idols out of things that will ultimately let us down. Also, we will be guarded against despair when the pressures of life are hard to bear (John 16:33a).
• Lord, may I live in the light of the Lord
• Lord, may I set my mind on things above
• Lord, keep me away from loving the world
Lord, may I always set my mind on things above in the name of Jesus. Amen